Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Weekend Michael ate 3/4 of a chicken.

As I'm sure you've all gathered from this post and this one too, we fully enjoyed our trip to OBX. This post isn't full of ocean photos though my friends, this post is about food. Yeah, just food. 
Michael and I love trying new restaurants- and we managed to hit 3 new places last weekend. 

#1: Get Fresh Cafe- Norfolk, VA
As you all know, we are huge nerds and love hitting up Guy Fieri's restaurant recommendations from Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives. We were happy to see that Get Fresh Cafe was on the way down to NC. This place was such a hole in the wall we drove past it about 3 times before we figured out where it was! It ended up being inside of a building that hosts an indoor farmer's market, and as you can see below it was tiny!
 The menu boasts ingredients from local farmers and bakers- so there were plenty of vegetarian items for me to choose from (insert fist pump here). I ended up going with a cheese panini [read: fancy grilled cheese] and sauteed local veggie mix.The bread on the sandwich was deee-lish, and even though the veggies were a little greasy, they were damn fresh.
 Michael went for 1/4 chicken with homestyle mac & cheese and mashed red potatoes. Mmm-mm. That's some down home, Southern cookin' if I've ever seen it!
 Overall, I'd give Get Fresh Cafe a B+. Good, fresh ingredients- just a little underseasoned!

#2 KDH Deli, Inc- Kill Devil Hills, NC
We stopped at KDH Deli for lunch our second day to fuel up for the drive home, and I can honestly say I've never seen such HUGE sandwiches in my life. All the bread is baked fresh from a local bakery, and the meats and cheeses are all actually good quality and recognizable (I'm lookin' at you Subway). The wheat bread was actually wheat- not just white bread tinted brown.

 I couldn't even get a picture to show to scale how freaking huge these subs were- Michael's was big enough to feed a family of 4. Seriously. you can see his amazement below:
 Overall, I'd give KDH Deli an A : Super affordable, delicious, and to top it all off: friendly staff!

#3: Outer Banks Brewing Station - Kill Devil Hills, NC
It was a gloomy evening our first night there so we decided a nice dinner out would make it all better- and OH MAN it did. We went out to Outer Banks Brewing Station which was America's first wind powered brewery. While I normally drink beer or whiskey, being on vacation made me decide a fruity drink would be a good idea. I don't remember what was in it- but it tasted like vodka with a side of fruit juice. Danger!
We started out with Hush Puppies- which are evidently the official food of NC- you can find them on every menu out there! They are basically onion infused friend dough that you slather in butter. You can feel your arteries clogging as you eat them- and it's totally wonderful. 
 Michael felt the need to eat more North Carolina chicken, so he ordered a BBQ half chicken with mashed potatoes, cornbread, and sauteed beans. He claims it was unbelievable. Take his word for it. 
 My dish was stellar. Goat cheese ravioli with butternut squash, dried cherries, greens, caramelized onions, with a balsamic drizzle. My mouth is watering just talking about it. Gahhh. I only brought my bad point and shoot camera to dinner so this picture doesn't do it justice- it was lovely. 
 I'd give OBB Station an A- great food, more than generous portions, and terrifyingly strong drinks! 

Does anyone else out there love hush puppies as much as we do?


xo, lp

9 comments:

  1. I love OBX and I realy love hushpuppies! We always go to GOombays for a drink when we are there. It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I may need to head to lunch early today...this post is making my tummy growl...nothing better than a basket of hush puppies! :)
    Giveaway @ Because Shanna Said So

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i love hush puppies ALMOST as much as cheese curds, and that's saying a lot. love that you & michael are foodies :) one of my favorite dates is when we go to try new/ethnic restaurants. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll send you hush puppies if you send me cheese curds!!

      Delete
  4. I want to eat all of those "Hush-Puppies" right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell that brother of mine that I'll respect him as a man when he can finish the whole chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha oh I will be sure to pass on the message!

      Delete
  6. I just found your blog via pink on the cheek! It's a small world! I live in Hampton Roads and have been dying to go to Get Fresh! (I really have no excuse because it's about 20 minutes from my house...) Anyway - I have heard terrific things about it. Also - my boyfriend and I just went to the OBX as well a couple weekends ago. Gotta love it! I am a fellow VA Blogger! So nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! It is a small world, so glad to know another VA blogger!

      Delete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...