Monday, February 6, 2012

Raspberry & Blueberry Champagne Fizz

      If I had the time, I would have a blog post for every detail to make Valentine's Day extra special. I was lucky enough to have some amazing women contribute Valentine's ideas last week- and in case you missed them, make sure the check them out:
- Tiffany from Living Savvy with the perfect V-Day craft that doesn't cost a dime
This week I have two more awesome ladies taking part in the series, so make sure to come back to see them!
-----------------------------------------

   Michael and I are pretty simple when it comes to alcoholic beverages. Whether at home or at a bar we always stick to wine, beer, or whiskey. Usually beer. What can I say? This is what happens when you graduate from UW Madison, folks. When we moved down South I was informed by my coworkers that girls down here don't drink beer...and sure enough- whenever we've been out they all drink something fruity and pretty. I haven't been a fan of anything fruity and pretty since one fateful night my sophomore year...the details of which I won't share because

                   1.  My mother reads this blog 
                       and
                   2.  I know some people read this over their lunch break, and it will ruin your appetite.

  That being said, I figured I'd step outside the beer box and try making a fun cocktail for V-Day. It's been a good 4 years since that icky night, and I think I can stomach at least a few sips of something colorful finally, so this is what I came up with after trial and error:

 Raspberry & Blueberry Champagne Fizz
(there are 2 versions to try- depending on how alcoholic or sweet you want it)
Start out with fresh blueberries and frozen raspberries...
Lightly mash them- not too much or else the blueberries will just get a liiiitle yucky.
For Type 1 (the strong version): Mix fruit with 1.5 ounces of vodka, plain or raspberry flavored. Add to glass and fill with champagne.


For Type 2 (the sweet version): Mix fruit with a couple ounces of pomegranate juice, add to glass and fill with champagne. Garnish with lime twist.

(if you don't have a zester- just make your lime twist using a cheese grater!)

Looks good, right?
     I have to say, I could only drink one of these but MAN they are good. I think I'd serve it up in a martini glass, but since we don't drink any martinis at the apartment I didn't have a glass handy! The raspberries keep the drink cold and the pomegranate juice gives it a pink twinge. Perfect for the holiday!

   Would you try this fruity drink for V-Day? Or will you stick to whiskey like Michael and me? Nothing says romance like whiskey folks, it's a fact. 

10 comments:

  1. hey good idea with the cheese grater to make the zest! I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks dee-lish...and let me tell you....girls in the SOUTH can totally drink beer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I sure hope so! I don't think I can survive on the fruity concoctions my dear coworkers like!

      Delete
  3. Is it normal to like whiskey just as much as fruity drinks?? These both look fabulous, but I'd have to go with the sweet drink with the lime twist (so creative). We'll have to cheers from afar this year! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could use one of those, right. now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s difficult to find knowledgeable people within this topic, but you sound like there’s more you’re speaking about! Thanks noticiasdealcorcon

    ReplyDelete
  6. This web-site is really a walk-through it really is the details you desired about it and didn’t know who to question. Glimpse here, and you’ll absolutely discover it.   hadeelweb

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...