Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Roasted Garlic Hummus & Pita Chips

My name is Laura and I'm a hummus snob.
There. I said it. 
Now that it's out in the open, let's chat about hummus. I know, it's super exciting, right?
But seriously. I blame it on the fact that I spent a short stint living in Israel- land of delicious hummus. I will admit that I often buy it from the store when I'm too lazy to make it...which is a little ridiculous because it's pretty easy to make.
Bonus: Hummus is a good source of protein and fiber (which is great for vegetarians like me)!

So let me explain this recipe, and the secrets to a great hummus.
Thing 1: Most hummus recipes have tahini (sesame paste) in them. It does add a creamy, nutty note, but is both hard to find & usually expensive. This recipe does include it, but feel free to leave it out of you can't find/don't want to buy it.
Thing 2: Use. Lots. Of. Garlic. Garlic is cheap and delicious, and roasting it makes it even more wonderful.
Thing 3: If you use canned chickpeas- take the time to take the "skins" off them. Yes, it's time consuming, but it'll lead to a creamier hummus!
Thing 4: This recipe is a simple, basic recipe. It's fine as is, or can be used as a base to add other flavors to (I usually add a couple teaspoons of chili powder).
------------------------------------
What you'll need
 (Hummus):
1 can chickpeas
1/4 cup (or less) chickpea liquid
1-2 Tbsp tahini paste
3 very large garlic cloves
zest & juice of half a lemon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
(Pita Chips):
1 package white pita
olive oil
sea salt
paprika 
black pepper

How To Make It Happen:
Hummus:
Step 1: Toss your garlic cloves in olive oil and roast on a baking sheet for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Step 2: Separate chickpeas from liquid, retaining 1/4 of liquid for hummus. 
Step 3: Remove "skins" from chickpeas and discard. 
Step 4: Zest & juice half a lemon and add to cleaned chickpeas.
Step 5: Remove garlic from oven and remove skins off of the cloves. Add to food processor and pulse until well minced.
Step 6: Add chickpeas, lemon juice & zest, tahini and chickpea liquid into processor and begin processing. slowly add in olive oil.
Step 7: Take off processor top and scrape sides with spatula & do a taste test!
Step 8: Add salt and continue to process to desired consistency. Add more salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Step 9: Serve on plate with pita chips, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika for garnish!

Pita Chips:
Step 1: Slice pita in triangles and lay on baking sheet side by side.
Step 2: Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle sea salt, pepper, and paprika.
Step 3: Toast at 300 degrees until golden brown (around 5 minutes)

remove chickpea skins for a creamier consistency
your roasted garlic will look like this! 


the finished product!
 Like I said: easy, delicious, healthy. 

Anyone else a hummus snob?
share your favorite brand/recipe with me!

xo,lp


Psssssssst: Still not sold on making your own hummus? These brands are my favorite!
 Best Store Bought Hummus:
#1  Sabra Hummus (both classic & roasted red pepper) is the best. creamy, smooth, garlicy love.
#2  Trader Joes Spicy Hummus is the perfect little kick, and is also creamy and delicious.
#3 Tribe (classic or garlic) great flavor, nice consistency.


6 comments:

  1. Totally a hummus snob, too! I'm picky about flavors. So impressed you made your own! It always seemed harder than it looks :)

    elizabethobsessed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hummus! I eat multiple packages a week. The more garlic the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you just make this for me and send it in a cooler via FED EX? Please and thank you! Oh, I am a sushi snob!! We can be snooty together!! :)
    xo,
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I LOVE HUMMUS. Love it love it love it. Making my own has been one of those Pinterest to-do's that has never happened. I love Trader Joe's roasted red pepper with some flat pretzel thins. Yum yum yummmmm. Ok I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know to take the skins off of the chick peas..thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I 'm obsessed with garlic, and making a homemade hummus or pesto is on my 101 list! Totally pinned this and am planning to enjoy this summer :)

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...