Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Oven Roasted Tomato& Pesto Crostini

As you can probably tell from my Food Love & Recipes section of the blog, I love making appetizers/snacks/party food a lot (like bruschetta, hummus, herb twists, and baked apple chips). 
My favorite types of snacks are ones that include crunchy bread or crackers. Sorry friends that avoid carbs, I am the wrong person to invite to your party. Michael and I both hate raw tomato..and yet somehow there was a whole tomato in our fridge. How it got there is beyond me. Either way, I decided to roast those babies up and make a delicious finger food treat.
--------------------
What you'll need:
- 1 small loaf crunchy french bread (freshly baked from Traders Joes are the best)
- 1 medium-large tomato
- 1-2 ounces grated Parmesan  (or mozzarella) cheese
- 1-2 ounces basil pesto
- dried oregano
- olive oil
-balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste  

How to make it happen:
Step 1: Cut your tomatoes into medium slices (if you're having trouble doing this without smashing it, get your knives sharpened!). Cut your crostini at an angle and set aside.
Step 2: Place your tomatoes on an ungreased baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil & balsamic. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper before roasting in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. You'll know they're ready when they start to look really shriveled. 
Step 3: Spread a thin layer of pesto on your crostini and toast in the 350 degree oven for 2-3 minutes.
Step 4: Place a few tomatoes on top of your pesto crostini and lightly cover with your cheese. Sprinkle a little pepper and dried oregano before putting back in the oven for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Step: Let cool for a minute, and enjoy!







Nothing better than a crunchy, garlicky appetizer in my book. The oven roasted tomatoes end up being a little sweet, and the salty cheese is just the perfect balance. 

I will absolutely be making these again for a future summer party. Be warned dieting friends, be warned.

What's your favorite party snack?
...have a recipe I should try? send it to beautyandbeard@gmail.com

xo, lp


16 comments:

  1. That looks unbelievable! yum!

    xx

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! Tomatoes and cheese- yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing but I can't eat bread :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah these look so delish and fresh too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have just found your blog - that recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! I love carbs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look like the perfect party snack!! I'm so hungry now!!

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so beyond yummy, I will definitely be making them soon! Thanks for sharing!! xo

    http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! I'm really not into raw tomatoes either but Ian loves them so we always have some lying around. I do love when they are baked/roasted though! This looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks incredible, Lauren! Wish I had time to experiment with more foods.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good and I think I could actually make this!!

    xo,
    Angela
    headtotoechic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, these look SO good!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks absofrigginlutely delicious. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look SO good! I may have to try to make some myself :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...