Tuesday, October 2, 2012

SWEET & CRUNCHY ASIAN CABBAGE SALAD

Happy Tuesday people! 
 I love football, and I figured it was time to start sharing with you some great recipes for football parties or tailgates. Now, before you raise your eyebrows at the thought of a cabbage salad going with football food, let me plead my case.
Most of tailgating food is really heavy and unhealthy, and a bright, fresh salad is perfect for breaking all that up. It's essentially an Asian version of coleslaw, and is insanely addictive. My mom makes a version of this salad every year for Thanksgiving, and I tried my best to recreate it without actually having a recipe. Here it is!
What you'll need:
Base:
Two  14 oz Bags Dole Cabbage/Coleslaw Mix 
One 11oz tin of mandarin oranges- segments separated from the juice.
Topping:
1 Package ramen noodles (not seasoning)
1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon butter
Dressing:
1/2 cup vegetable or olive oil 
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons stone ground mustard 
1 tablespoon mandarin orange juice
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes 

How to make it happen:
Step 1: Take your ramen noodles and crush them up in a bowl with your almonds and sesame seeds.
Step 2: Melt your butter in a frying pan and once sizzling, cook up your ramen mixture until golden brown.
Step 3: Whisk together all the ingredients of your dressing and put in the fridge to cool.
Step 4: Toss together your cabbage mixture with the mandarin orange segments.
Step 5: Right before serving, whisk together your dressing and toss in with the salad. Finish with ramen topping and serve immediately!
I made this a few weeks ago for a bbq with some family and friends and every single person had multiple servings (insert horn tooting here). It's tangy and sweet and a little salty, crunchy and just plain wonderful. 

Like I said, seriously great for a tailgate. I stake my reputation on it, folks.

What unusual dish do you make for your tailgates?
If you don't have one, make this yours!

xo, lp

11 comments:

  1. Oooh that looks fantastic! I make something simliar with broccoli slaw and it is absolutely addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! That looks right up my alley! I am always adding broccoli slaw or three color slaw to any salad to give that satisfying crunch. Plus, salty and sweet together is my thing. AND IT'S VEGAN (except for the honey, which I eat anyway). THANKS!!!
    www.theopinionatedgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of cabbage but this might be the recipe to change that! I make something similar without the cabbage that my family calls the "damn salad"...I have no idea why, but it's delicious!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, yum!! This looks delicious! I'd love to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A family friend makes a version of this and it's so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm this looks yummy! I will need to make this sometime soon!

    go for the glam

    ReplyDelete
  7. this salad looks great! ive never been a fan of cabbage slaws that had red cabbage and i didn't see any red cabbage in yours

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good! You took some great pictures as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing!!! I am totally going to try this recipe on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...