Tuesday, October 30, 2012

THANKS JAR STRIKES AGAIN

Normally on Tuesdays I share a recipe, but today is a special day my friends. Today is the Young House Love Pinterest Challenge
  I'm sure you all know about Sherry and John's blog, right? Sure you do. Their blog is the first one I ever started following, and is always a fun source of inspiration. I even got to meet them when Michael and I lived in Richmond (yes, I freaked out slightly), and have their new book pre-ordered. Total YHL nerd over here, people. 

Alright. Enough blabbing. So last year I tried to be cool and replicate Sherry's Thanks Glassing Project, and well... it didn't turn out so hot...so this year I gave it a facelift:

Oh, wait. 
I should probably explain.
So, every day of November (or earlier) until Thanksgiving you (and your spouse/partner/family/kids/etc) write something on a slip of paper you're thankful for and put it in the Thanks Jar. Then, on Thanksgiving you read them all! 
WAIT. Before you go judging and thinking this sounds a little goofy- let me assure you that it is not only sweet, but also HILARIOUS. Last year both Michael and I individually wrote cheese and whiskey on one. Class acts. 

Well, besides being ugly, the problem with last year's Thanks Jar was that you could see right into it, which means any nosy Nelly could check out what was on the slips ahead of time. No good. Thus, this year I decided to upgrade it....by painting it GOLD:
All you need:
Gold spray paint
Spray Adhesive (regular glue works too)
Mod Podge
Glitter
 After painting your jar gold, just spray some spray adhesive on in lines and layer your glitter on in whatever manner you so choose. I went with gold & copper tones from Martha Stewart, but clearly it doesn't need to be an fall color scheme! If you'd rather do a Thanks Jar for the holidays, blue & gold or red & green would be fun too!

We had so much fun with it last year, we actually started a month early. We've been writing one a day since the beginning of October and the jar is getting mighty full!!

If you want to have a Thanks Jar this year, get your butt in gear - you have 2 days!!!

Have another holiday tradition to share?
I'm a sucker for that stuff...so let me know!

xo, lp

16 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea!! Totally keeping in this in mind to start for the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lady! Let me know if you end up making one!!

      Delete
  2. Aww I just discovered YHL, just in time for moving into a new house! It was fate! I'm jeaous you got to meet them. I think your Thanks jar turned out great, and it actually looked great pre-facelift too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE YHL!! For some strange reason though I am not following them - I don't know why? Clearly I've gotta get in the game - they always have such cute ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha cracking up about cheese & whiskey.

    xo
    www.carlyonqueue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a "thanks" box... I might have to make a jar now :) CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome project!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :)
    www.theopinionatedgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an awesome idea! And your jar is quite pretty! Gotta love sparkles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whiskey and cheese sound just like us too! Too funny :) I believe I'll be doing this within the next few days--great little project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope you blog about it if you do- i'd love to see it!!!

      Delete
  9. I love your thankful jar! Such a great idea for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute! What a great idea. I love how it turned out. I would LOVE for you to link this up at my Ginger Jamboree Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhh, I love the glitter ombre. It came out so great!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is such a good idea and all my family will be home for Thanksgiving so it will be so fun to read them. I'm going to get on my jar today. :)

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...