Tuesday, June 4, 2013

HOW TO GET INTO AN AVOCADO (without cutting your fingers off)

I realize "get into" an avocado is a super odd way to phrase that..but I mean..how else do you say it?
How to open and avocado? How to filet and avocado? 
Caaaaaan you tell I never went to culinary school? Oops.

Spoiler alert: this is a precursor to tomorrow's post- which is my delicious guacamole recipe!

I worked in a fine dining japanese restaurant for a little under 4 years, and if you've gone to eat sushi, you know they use a LOT of avocados. When we'd be setting up the restaurant I'd watch the sushi chefs deconstruct a billion of those things, with REALLY sharp knives, really quickly.

I've taken their method, used a slightly less sharp knife, and put it in this post. This is meant to be a basic how-to for avocado newbies, if you're already an avocado pro- ignore me and walk away. Come back tomorrow.

Here's how to make it happen:

Step 1:
Cut vertically all the way around your avocado. Just cut deep enough to get to the seed/pit in the middle:

Step 2: Grab each half, one in each half, and twist opposite ways for it to pop open:

If your avo is ripe, it'll be beautiful like this:

Step 3: Take whatever your sharpest knife is, preferably a larger chopping knife (my sharpest was a paring knife...#facepalm) and lightly whack it into the center of the pit. PLEASE do not cut your hand or fingers doing this.
 Step 4: Holding onto the avocado in one hand, take the knife and twist until it pops the pit out:
 Step 5: Cut your halves in half, so you have 4 quarters:
 Step 6: Pull off your tough avocado skin and you're good to go!

When you do this all quickly it can be done in less than a minute...or if you're a fancy sushi chef... like 10 seconds. I advise going slow to start so you don't cut yourself :)

So that's it! What's your best avocado recipe?
I only know about two..so help me out!

xo, lp



*please note: if you don't feel confident holding a sharp knife and stabbing it into the pit, DON'T. I'm not holding any responsibility for your injuries in posting this tutorial. so please, be careful!

7 comments:

  1. OK, I'm really good at cleaning avocados, but I cannot master the pit/knife trick. I'm always afraid I'm going to lose a finger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I know.. it takes a while to get used to!!

      Delete
  2. Have you ever heard about baking an egg in an avocado? Ohmygod it's so good!! I like this recipe! http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/04/eggs-baked-in-avocado-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No i hadn't!! THanks for the recipe lady!!

      Delete
  3. Find Out More p4i31n6q57 louis vuitton fake replica bags korea r4g27c5s13 replica bags from china free shipping try this out y0p76f8h71 replica bags nyc best replica bags online 2018 replica hermes bag e4d51i3y88 replica bags on amazon

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...