Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake

Why is coffee cake so good? Completely unfair.

My grandma used to make ridiculously delicious coffee cake- and I was feeling nostalgic the other day...so I made some. The recipe was one I found online & is completely perfect: soft, sweet, comforting. 
Note: Coffee Cake has a lot of butter. 
Wait.
Let me reiterate:
Coffee. Cake. Has. A. LOT. Of. Butter. 

But it's oh so good.

The main recipe is from the sweet blog Buns in my Oven- and the cinnamon swirl is mine.


For the cake:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the crumb topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) melted butter
2 1/2 cups flour

For the cinnamon swirl:
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

For full instructions, make sure to give the original recipe maker some love, by visiting her blog here. The one thing I added was the cinnamon swirl in the middle- just put half the batter in the pan- sprinkle the cinnamon + sugar evenly, and add the rest of the batter! 
---------------------
Ugh. It tastes as good as it looks, I promise. Cinnamony sweet goodness.

I worked yesterday and am dying to hear about what everyone did yesterday! I'll be at the beach today making up for lost relaxation time. Mmmhmm bring on the sun.
How was your weekend? 
I envy any of you that had any type of picnic/BBQ/etc. Majorly.

xo, lp

**psssssssssst! I'm majorly excited about the fact that tomorrow I'll be doing my first GIVEAWAY on the blog! Woohoo!!!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE crumb cake! I wish it didn' have so much butter bit it is so yummy with the butter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! Perfect for brunch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coffee cake! Have you tried the coffee cake from Starbucks? DELICIOUS! I might have to make this recipe sometime soon. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes BUTTER is oh so good but so not nice to me. Butter, Yogurt, Cheese, Milk, Ice Cream.... ya all those do a number on my tummy. But, I've learned a pinch is ok...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG coffee cake is the absolute best! I might need to try this recipe. I spent the weekend at my in law's lake house and then meet some friends up for a bbq/pool party, but then headed to dinner for my mom's birthday. It started off relaxing and then got busy. Hope you had a fun time at the beach today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No picnics/BBQs for me, either, but I DID spend today at the beach as well! This coffee cake looks SO delicious!! I love your little butter warning - my boyfriend was shocked to see how much goes into coffee cake! Love that you were inspired by your Grandma, too - a lot of our baking adventures stem from something our Grandma used to make! :)


    ♡j
    sorelle in style

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...