Tuesday, November 27, 2012

(the easiest) CRANBERRY APPLE GALETTE

My dear friends.
I've been making this recipe for a few years now, and while I started doing so with my mom for Thanksgiving, it is now my go-to dessert to bring to parties. I can whip it up without measuring a bit and have it done and baked in under 45 minutes. Booya.
It's INFINITELY easier than a pie, and looks like something out of Martha Stewart (yes, horn tooting going on here). I present to you, my friends, the only holiday dessert recipe you need. Pin it now, thank me later:


What you'll need to make it happen:
1 1/2 McIntosh or Granny Smith apples, peeled.
1 lemon (both zest and juice)
1 pre-made pie crust
3/4 cups fresh cranberries
1 egg white
1 Tablespoon flour
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
Parchment paper

How to make it happen:
Step 1: Cut your peeled apples into thin half moon slices, saving the ends (yes, I call them the "butts") too, for surrounding the cranberries.
Step 2: Mix together your apples, cranberries, cinnamon, sugar, flour, lemon juice and zest in a big bowl, until the fruit is thoroughly coated.
Step 3: Roll out your dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and begin layering your apples about 1.5 inches from the edge. Yes, take the time to make them look pretty- they won't be covered in crust like a pie!
Step 4: Fill the middle of the apple slice circle with cranberries, and keep them from rolling away by surrounding them with the apple ends!
Step 5: Now comes the time when you get to make the crust all pretty. Rub some egg white on your crust to get started, and begin to fold and pinch on a diagonal around the crust, sealing over and over with the egg white. Just fold far enough in to cover the edges of the apples.
Step 6: Do a final layer of egg white wash around the top of the crust and sprinkle well with sugar!
Step 7: Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes on a TOP rack. This of course depends on how hot your oven runs, but mine is pretty toasty, so it gets the job done quickly. Take out once golden brown and allow to cool!




 I tried only making 2 of these for Thanksgiving this year and my sister promptly told me that would not be sufficient. Boy was she right!

What is your go-to holiday dessert dish?
Any recipes I should try? Do share!

xo, lp





8 comments:

  1. This looks simply amazing. I'm definitely going to try this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, you're right...this is so pretty! I've never made a galette before, and I love the idea of combining apples and cranberries (perfect for holidays!). Definitely trying this out!

    Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG looks amazing! i want to gobble that down STAT!

    xA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will attest to how delicious and pretty these are!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Link exchange is nothing else however it is only placing the other person's weblog link on your page at proper place and other person will also do similar in favor of you.

    Look at my web page :: weight loss calculator

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...