Tuesday, April 2, 2013

BLUEBERRY LEMON GLAZED DROP SCONES

You know sometimes when you make a recipe and just kind of wing it...and it turns out AWESOME?

Okay, okay... so maybe not everyone does. I know by your comments some of you aren't fans of making more than mac & cheese- but well, just go with me here, okay?

I wanted to bring a treat for Michael's parents this weekend and he suggested I should make scones. Rather than fall back on my usual cranberry orange scones, I decided to mix it up (I live a WILD life, everyone).
For those of you Southerners out there, I'm SURE you've had drop biscuits before- and this is the same idea. Basically, this is just the lazy version of scone making. Which is awesome. AND for the record: no, they are not dry. They are soft and delicious.
Here they are:

What you'll need to make it happen:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 eggs- (separate yolk from white in one of the eggs- set white aside)
1 1/2 cup blueberries, fresh - or if frozen thawed fully.
One lemon- full zest and juice of half of one
1/2 cup powdered sugar
parchment paper

How to make it happen:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix together your flour, granulated sugar, salt, and baking powder.
3. Add in your softened butter until dough is crumbly.
4. In another bowl take 2 eggs plus the yolk of the third and mix it fully with your buttermilk. Add to your dry ingredient bowl!
5. Add in your blueberries and almost all of your zest- mixing carefully so the blueberries don't all burst open.
6. This batter will be STICKY! Drop them to the size you desire (i normally do about half cup- which makes  7) onto your parchment paper. Don't even try to mess with them much- you'll just get covered in sticky dough! 
7. Brush lightly with your egg white and bake for 20-25 minutes- until golden brown.
8. While your scones cool, mix together your powdered sugar, lemon juice, and leftover lemon zest together to make a quick icing. Drizzle over your scones after they have cooled for about 10 minutes. This will allow the icing and lemony flavor to absorb into the scones, making them even softer. 
9. Pour yourself a mug of coffee and enjoy!

So there you have it. Delicious, soft, tangy sweet scones- easy to make, bake, and bring anywhere. 
I don't think I'll ever go back to forming scones again. This was WAY too easy!

What easy recipe do you keep up your sleeve?
Share your secrets, people!

xo, lp

8 comments:

  1. Anything that mixes fruit with lemon is a winner in my book. These are so fresh and spring-y. Is it bad I'd eat them for breakfast EVERY DAY?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, I love scones & these sound perfect!

    xoxo, Amy @ Interpret As You May

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try these. They look beyond delish. Great post, love. If you a get a sec, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of my mother's recipe for Queen Anne Scones--suuuper easy (like you go from ingredients in your cabinets to scones in 15 minutes), and uses plain yogurt to keep them moist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've never made scones with yogurt- that sounds like an AWESOME idea!

      Delete
  5. So excited to make these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delish! I also have a recipe on my blog for blueberry scones. Yours uses less butter so I might look into making these instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll have to check it out! more butter always means better scones!!

      Delete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...