Thursday, July 26, 2012

MONOGRAM RECIPE BOX

Here's the deal. In case you live under a rock, I love to cook & bake. Evidenced here.  
Growing up, my mom had old wood recipe boxes overflowing with carefully written out recipes categorized with little index tabs. Controlled chaos, if you will. I know it's easier nowadays to just keep recipes digitally, but there's something sacred about written out cards. 

I decided to make a simple monogrammed wood recipe box and have begun to write out all my favorite recipes, edged with colorful paper.

For a long time I was going to print the monogram out from offline, but thought it would be more personal (&imperfect) to write it out myself. So here you have it:
I started with a plain wood recipe box from Michael's (about $4 after a coupon):
I sanded that baby down, and started sketching out my monogram. I went with an almost-black navy acrylic paint for the letters & circle. A quick seal of polyurethane later the paint finished fully matte!


I kind of love how it's not a perfect circle, which is currently shocking the perfectionist inside of me...
 Not to sound like a cranky,senile old lady- but I think too much is getting "computerized" these days. Some things hold such good memories, and you need to be able to touch them sometimes- not just stare at them on a screen.Overall, I love it and cannot wait until it's like my mom's recipe boxes; bursting with inspiration and tasty food ideas!

You an old-school recipe box fan like I am?
Do tell what your's looks ( or will look) like. 


xo, lp

19 comments:

  1. I have one that is almost exactly the same that I did, but doesn't have the circle around my intials!!! Love how yours turned out, and love how you organize your recipe cards. I have been postponing writing all mine down onto those little index cards... Will you do them for me?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Where did you buy your recipe cards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made them!! Just big index cards with pretty paper!

      Delete
  3. It turned out amazing!!! For my bridal shower everyone gave me a recipe hand written on a recipe card. I should make a box like this to keep them in!

    Xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOOOOVE this so much! :) where did you get your adorable recipe cards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i actually made them! they're just the large size index cards- and i cut out scrapbooking paper & glued it on to make the designs!

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of a recipe box but I have no handwritten recipes due to the internets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good!! I want to do this, for sure! I used to look through my aunts recipes all of the time, and I hope that someday my kids will look through mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this. Such a good idea, and so easy. I'm book marking this... could make a great christmas present for friends if I fill it with goodies!

    xoxo, Emily
    bluedogbelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is a great idea! Love it! Would make a great personalized gift with a few of your favorite recipes placed inside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this!! You did a great job!! And I agree about liking actual recipe cards. My mom gave me a recipe box about 8 years ago when I moved into my house and I love it.

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looove this idea! I have all my recipes in a binder, which is not pretty at all. I've been wanting to transfer everything to recipe cards, and this just might be the motivation I need.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks awesome!! I agree something you nee to hold in your hand, especially when it's covered in tomato juice or something and you have check the recipe again. All my cook books look battered, but that's good right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a cute idea! I need something to keep all of my recipes in order, I find myself losing them all of the time which is sad because I have lost some really good ones!

    <3 Melissa
    http://scribble-n-dash.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! It would make a great shower/wedding gift especially if you filled it with great recipes! You know I love a great monogram!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, STOP being so adorable with all your baking, DIY and crafts!!! You are making me feel soooo inferior!! No, really, you are the cutest! And LOVE this!!
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wellll, you are adorable. I LOVE hand written recipe cards but I dont know what to keep them in! I guess a recipe box! I love the imperfection of it all too

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea! I'm currently using an old, plastic index card holder for mine. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow- that is fantastic! I am a new follower to your blog. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...