Monday, July 9, 2012

on being selfish...and thank you

*disclaimer- i realize this is a lot of talking for a monday post. bear with me people.
** double disclaimer- if you're new around here see more of what i'm talking about here
-----------------------------
So as you all know, Michael and I are moving back to the Midwest.
We've been travelling for the past 8 days, hitting every single New England state on our way. Up until yesterday, it just felt like a vacation. We've been seeing so many new places and enjoying so much time with friends we hadn't really slowed down to realize we were getting closer and closer to home. While driving through Ohio and Indiana it suddenly hit me that this wasn't vacation, this was reality.

The selfishness sunk in then. Not all of me was ready to be back.

You know that feeling when you leave your phone/computer/etc at home? The totally unplugged feeling? At first it's unnerving because you're so used to having contact with everyone at your fingertips, right? Well I don't know about you, but after a bit it's so freeing. You don't feel like you need to respond to every text, tweet or email immediately, and it's thoroughly enjoyable. 

That's how it felt in Virginia. It was just Michael and me, on our own, enjoying time together uninterrupted. It sounds selfish, because it is. I have to say that every moment down there was like relishing the feeling of being totally unplugged. We didn't have any commitments/events to attend, and we didn't feel bad if we just spent the night in instead of seeing anyone. While I am beyond thrilled to be back to seeing our families and friends, I'll miss living in our little bubble. Although Virginia wasn't the right place for us for keeps, it was the right place for us at the time, I know that now. 
via
All of this being said, I will be [figuratively] holding my breath until we arrive back tonight. There are so many people I cannot wait to hug.

Thanks for putting up with the onslaught of Instagram pictures. I know, I got a little bit obsessed with the pictures of toll tickets (and that wasn't even all of them!). This blog will clearly go on, in fact tomorrow I'll have a recipe post I totally forgot to get up before we left! The next few weeks will be a whirlwind of camping, moving, and figuring out what the heck we're going to do with ourselves...and I absolutely cannot wait.

Have you ever felt that need to be unplugged?
I highly recommend it, it feels great...just don't be surprised if it's hard to go back!


xo,lp

Photobucket

21 comments:

  1. You should feel stupid for asking me that. Of course I need/want/do unplug. Sometimes I drive myself nutso. Glad you kids are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the midwest! It's a pretty great place. :) Now I just wish there were more bloggers here to have a little meet up!

    And i've 100% wanted to unplug and just be uninterupted for an extended period of time. But then the anxiety kicks in and I grab my phone / ipad / laptop / insert any other type of technology and I probably have it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am in the middle of the busy semester and ridiculously busy I always feel the need to unplug for at least 12 hours and I feel so much more refreshed after!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you do know if you ever feel the need to come back to VA, there are a few of us girls who would love to have some cocktails with you :) Good luck with moving in this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been fun following you guys on IG. You guys will get back into the groove once you are settled in. And make time to still have "that little bubble" for the two of you! I am sure there a so many that can't wait for your arrival!!!
    xo,
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely agree with you, it's so nice to get away from everything else and just relax! Hope coming home goes smoothly for your guys! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog through the link up and you are hilarious! Needless to say, I'm following you now and can't wait to keep up with you. I totally know what you mean about unplugging. I did that this weekend and it was so nice. Too bad it only lasted a few days. Good luck with the move!
    Cheers,
    Sara
    www.SocialSara.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you found me through the link up! can't wait to check out your blog lady!

      Delete
  8. It is nice sometimes to just unplug and focus on family and friends for a bit. While I was in Rome for the past 3 weeks, my phone and computer worked sporadically and there wasn't any t.v so I was able to disconnect from the world and just focus on exploring! Good luck to you on your big move!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you kidding? I LOVE your IG pics! I am totally living vicariously through you :)

    And I can only imagine how rough the move must be. I've never lived more than an hour from friends and family...maybe I need to make a move hehe ;) Loving that quote BTW.

    Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate SO MUCH to what you're talking about. I moved away from home a year ago...it's a long and drawn out story that I'm sure you've seen on my blog ;). ANYWAY, I moved back home and while I am SO HAPPY to be here...sometimes it's an adjustment to be 'back on the map.' While I missed my family and friends...I enjoyed my alone time! I enjoyed not always feeling like a had a commitment and only doing what I really wanted to do. Don't get me wrong...I'm so happy to be home BUT I do sometimes miss the feeling of being away and unplugged and in my little bubble. I'm learning how to balance unplugged time with friends/family/various obligations time. It can be challenging and sometimes people don't quite get it but after being away for a while- I KNOW it's something I need.

    Longest comment ever....but I totally get you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bahaha BEST comment ever. glad i'm not the only one who feels that way!!

      Delete
  11. I can imagine how you are feeling and hopefully even with being back with your family & friends you will still get plenty of time to spend together and create your new bubble :) I have just loved all of your pictures and it makes me want to pack up my car and drive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like quite an adventure! I'm gonna have to try this whole unplugged thing soon, sounds very relaxing! Very cute blog - I'm now following :)

    http://allthingsalisamarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's funny you mention that because I actually brought my laptop with me to keep up with blogging and such while I was on vacation and I never took it out of my suitcase! sometimes it's a wonderful thing to unplug and enjoy some time away.

    <3 <3 although can't wait for you to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally need to be unplugged every now and then. It's defiantly something I need to do more. Sounds like a great trip w tons of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love unplugging. I feel like it's necessary for me and it recharges me! Good luck with your upcoming move!

    Chris
    chubbeteadventres.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Selfishly, so glad you are back and living in the same county. :) I have a new partner in crime. welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw it's a big move so I'm sure you'll be feeling a lot of motions. Definitely feel the need to unplug. From time to time I give myself a 10 o'clock cut off: no email, phone on silent, and just unwind without technology. It really helps lifts your spirits :)

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...