Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Baked Apple Chips

       Did you all tune in a few weeks ago? I made some deee-licious Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels, which I figured would a bit healthier than all the Girl Scout Cookies floating around. They definitely are- but today's recipe is even better for you, and just about as delicious. I found these on Pinterest and had to try a version of them. Thanks to the Delighted Momma for the inspiration and recipe!!

All you need for this recipe is a couple apples, some cinnamon, and a pinch of sugar (optional). Easy, right?!

Step 1. Preheat your oven to 275 degrees, and line a cookie sheet or two with parchment paper.
Step 2: Cut off the top and bottom of the apples so you have a flat surface on the apple to stabilize it while you cut out the core.
Step 3: Using a paring knife, cut out the center of your apples. I'm sure there is a fancy kitchen tool out there that does this for you, but I am not that high class my dears.
Step 4: Cut into thin rings. If you want them to cook faster and be more on the crunchy side- cut them thinner. If you want them to have more of a dried chewy texture, cut a little thicker. I did both.
Step 5: Lay those babies out on your parchment lined sheet.
Step 6: Sprinkle your apples with cinnamon. Do take the time to make it a light, even sprinkle. I was impatient (per usual) and didn't- which left some of the rings with super cinnamon overload. If you want to add sugar, do so now! I didn't and they were perfectly sweet without it.

Step 7: Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then flip the apples and bake for another 45 minutes. (At this point the ones I had cut super thin were crispy and good to go- but I left the thicker ones in for another 30 minutes.)


I know they aren't going to win any snack beauty competitions but they are pretty dang good. I don't know about you all, but I really like dried apples- and they can be kind of pricey depending where you buy them. This is a way to make them for a fraction of the cost. Not bad, right?

Have any other good recipes for healthy baked snacks? Let me know them- comment or email beautyandbeard@gmail.com!

Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Those look good Laura! It looks like a fun thing to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried these before - also via Pinterest - and LOVED them! I'm thinking of trying Kale chips next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like slicing my apples like that to begin with. i toss them in salads or just put peanut butter on them. thanks for this recipe! will def have to try these too.
    xx jes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cooked apples. I'm gonna try it!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, those look incredible!! So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so yummy! I must make these!

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...