Tuesday, March 6, 2012

chewy oatmeal cranberry cookies

The recipe for these cookies has been tweaked by me a bajillion times. I never made oatmeal cookies growing up, but since college I have been trying to perfect a good recipe... and this my dear blog loves, is it. This batch I made with dried cranberries because I love the tartness- but it would be equally delicious with raisins or extra sweet with chocolate chips. They are perfectly crisp on the outside, and buttery chewy on the inside. 
Ingredients: 
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats (NOT quick cook oats!)
1 1/2 sticks melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4  tsp cinnamon
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk (yes, so technically 1 1/2 eggs....)
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 overflowing cup of dried cranberries

Directions:
*Hi. I rarely follow directions properly. Really. I'm terrible. I improvise. If you want these to turn out right- please, follow the directions. I'm not trying to be bossy, but it's coming across that way. You'll thank me later. It's tough love, people.*
1. Preheat your oven to 330 degrees. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Don't grease them, just line with parchment paper.
2. Melt your butter- and set aside to let it cool off a little while you mix up other ingredients. 
3. In one bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking soda.
4. In another bowl, mix your brown and white sugars with the melted butter. Add in your cinnamon, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix/beat for a minute or two until well blended and creamy. Stir in your flour mix until it's fully integrated.

5. Mix in your cranberries and oats. Your batter will be thick!

6. Take small amounts of dough (around 1/4 cup) and roll it into a ball- and then smash it into a hamburger-like patty. No, I don't have pictures of this step- because my hands were covered in battery-y goodness. Sorry.
7. Place on your parchment lined cookie sheets and bake for 15-16 minutes- depending on how hot your oven runs. If you aren't sure- check on them after 13-14 minutes. When they're light light golden brown take them out- if you overbake they won't be chewy!

OH MY GOSH THEY ARE GOOD. Just look at them:
Perfect with a nice glass of milk....
Mmmmhmmmm
Alright, I'm done bossing you through this recipe. Instead of bossing I'll start shamelessly promoting:

 Now go: Bookmark it. Pin it. Tweet it. Share it with your friends.

(Wait, you don't follow me on Twitter? Let's fix that: HERE)
oh, and i'm linking up for :

23 comments:

  1. Yummmm. I don't follow directions when I bake either (and there are plenty of tales on the blog about it haha). Those look sooo good...beautiful pictures too! They would be amazing with chocolate chips...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for the compliment! and i'm trying to be more patient and take better pictures..so thanks for noticing :)

      Delete
  2. Every day I forget to eat breakfast before work.. and every day I read your blog and make myself incredibly hungry. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've gained five pounds looking at your blog the past few days! ;) these look so delicious, I will have to try them!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! you are too funny...more food post coming soon- beware!

      Delete
  4. YUMMO!!! Okay, my tummy is growling now...want to send me some in the mail? ;)

    Because Shanna Said So

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura - Laura Beth here - I'm a new follower and I'm loving your blog!!! Definitely thinking about making the cinnamon sugar pretzels for my girls night this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad you stopped by Laura Beth! i love your blog and am honored to have you follow :) hope the cinnamon sugar pretzels work out for you!

      Delete
  6. Those look delish! I love the idea of cranberries instead of choc chips

    xx

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is "the beard" here, giving these cookies my full endorsement! nom nom nom nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will definitely be trying this! I love a chewy oatmeal cookie. Pretty photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mm, we make a mean cranberry white chocolate cookie at LE. these look way more awesome though. and cranberries always remind me of wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously one of my favorite combos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so yummy Laura! Thanks for commenting on my blog - I'm a new follower to yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad you stopped by and are following amy!! xo

      Delete
  12. Cookies are my favorite thing in the world to make, so I'll definitely be trying these. I think I'll use chocolate chips though, only because my house is full of chocolate lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Laura - Your cookies sound delicious! I love a good oatmeal cookie and cranberries sound like a great addition. Thanks so much for linking up!
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  14. These cookies look SO delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...