Monday, March 18, 2013

HOMETOWN LOVE

Sometimes, no matter what age you are, you just need to go home and recharge. 

This weekend Michael and I headed back to Minnesota to see my parents and celebrate my dad's recent retirement from work.  Other than a scary snowstorm on our drive in , it was the perfect weekend. 

This Monday I thought I'd show ya a little bit what it's like to go home for me!

I grew up on a lake, and waking up to the view of the trees & water just never gets old:
 Another perk of being home? Finding RIDICULOUS pictures of yourself as a kid. Especially ones in sailor outfits. Proof I loved nautical things before they were trendy...
 My hometown is a little strange because it's around 27,000 people and a suburb of the Twin Cities...but feels much, much smaller than that. While there are plenty of new developments and shops, there are still a handful of old, old buildings with small family owned businesses. I mean, how many places can you still find a barbershop with the spinny blue/red/white thingy out front?!? 
 Naturally we went and got brunch & malts...

After a lazy walk around town and a lazy afternoon on the couch (back off! I had a long week at work!) my lovely talented sister came over and we did a quick photoshoot out in the snow. Maybe if you're all nice I'll show you a few more of the photos...ones that actually show my face...

Dinner was epic. My sister and her boyfriend made us all fresh veggie tempura. Ermahgerd people. We all sat around the counter with little plates and ginger soy dipping sauce while they brought us different veggies to try. For the record, my favorites once tempura-ed in order:
sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, peppers, and green beans.
(oh and we tempura-ed string cheese. this is the midwest...it's what we do)

I have to say it was one of the best meals I've ever had. The food was delicious, but besides that it was so good to be with the ones I love, laughing uncontrollably. Really. I was in tears a few times. My family is absolutely hilarious. Especially after a few glasses of wine...! 
 My parents are both now retired and it makes my heart swell to see them so relaxed and enjoying life. They deserve it. 

After a final breakfast with the fam and some friends on Sunday Michael and I headed back to Madison. This time the sky was insanely blue, and the roads weren't snow covered (thank goodness)! I know I shared this on Instagram, but for the blog readers that haven't seen it, this is a common thing in Wisconsin. If you're from an urban setting, you just don't see tractor crossing signs too often. now do you?

There you have it. A weekend in the life of Laura at home.
No green beer, no partying in the streets, and no glamourous outfits (I spent all of Sunday in fleece snowflake pjs). 

Mom & Dad, thanks for putting up for 25 years and being the most kick ass parents ever.
(sorry for swearing mom!)

What do you love about going home?
Tell me something good about your family. Do it.

xo, lp

Find me on Instagram HERE

Find my sister's lovely pictures HERE and her latest photography endeavor HERE

16 comments:

  1. That picture of you as a little bebe is TOO CUTE! Also, the tempura sounds ah-mazing. I wish someone would cook like that for me!

    Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered your blog through Life Lately..i love it! i'm kind of obsessed ;)
    I don't get to go home since I live there, but we go back to my husband's hometown in Northern Idaho and it is such a breath of fresh air...literally!...coming from So Cal.

    And yes, the free food for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lady! glad you found the blog! i'm headed on a roadtrip through idaho this summer - looking forward to a break and breath of fresh air there too!

      Delete
  3. I was just thinking that the veggie tempura you posted on instagram sounded SO amazing. totally would like to do that on a chilly wisco night

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the perfect weekend!! I love that picture of you and vegetable tempura sounds amazinggggg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, sweetie, it helps to have kick-ass kids. See you next month. (Yes blogettes, her dad reads her blog everyday)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tractor crossing? I've never seen one of those! Lol

    I love the first pic - so peaceful and pretty.

    Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great weekend - gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful pics!! I love following on Instagram!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Allhomeworkhelp Provide best homework help in the world.We have high educational experts and they always ready to help you.
    best college homework help | Human resource management homework help

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our fullhomeworkhelp team provide best Assignment help and all assignment delivered before deadline.
    programming Assignment help | Management Assignment help

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...