Thursday, November 10, 2011

Museum of the Confederacy

Last Monday I dragged Laura along to a site I've been drooling over since we got here: The Museum of the Confederacy.


We weren't allowed to take photos inside, so this is what you get.  Let me tell ya though, the place was three stories of awesome!  Among the hundreds of artifacts were many of Robert E. Lee's personal effects, along with our favorite piece; a pair of bullets that met halfway on the battlefield and formed a perfect flower pattern as they smashed together.  


Back outside the museum, I posed next to the anchor of the C.S.S. Virginia.  This isn't very important, but my mother will appreciate the fact that I am wearing real shoes.  I broke down and bought a pair, so no more ratty flip flops or running shoes.  Sad day.

Right next to the museum lies the former White House of the Confederacy.  Jefferson Davis lived here, right down the street from us, for the duration of the Civil War.  The house is completely outfitted with its original pieces or pieces from that period where necessary.  Also, President Lincoln visited the residence a mere ten days before he was assassinated.  It was quite an experience to stand in the same rooms he did all those years ago.  



It's no US White House, but hey, it's about as good as it gets for a "country" that came and went in a matter of 4 years.  


-MB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...