Sunday, November 13, 2011

Thanks Jar




It's PIN-A-WEEK time dear friends. This week's pin came from some of my favorite bloggers (fellow Richmonders), Sherry and John @Young House Love. I call it the Thanks Jar - every day (or every time) you feel like it, you write down something you're thankful for on a slip of paper and keep them all in the jar until Thanksgiving. Since Michael and I won't be home for Thanksgiving this year, we figured it would be a good tradition to start for the two of us!
 The full link for their jar is here. They finished theirs with an etching cream- which gives the glass a more subtle "thanks" instead of the bold one I did.

First things first, I grabbed a big mason jar from Michael's and taped my printed out "thanks" to it.
 This next step I did differently from YHL (honestly, theirs is WAY better. oops.). I covered the "thanks" in painters tape so I could still see the lettering through the tape.
 Using an X-acto knife i started cutting out the letters from the tape.

 Since I wasn't worried about using the jar for food, and since it wouldn't be handled a lot I just used basic acrylic paint for the lettering.
 I used a sponge brush to give it a little texture instead of just a basic smooth finish.
 I yanked off the tape while the paint was still a little wet to make sure I had gotten every nook and cranny.

 I added a little ribbon so it wouldn't be too simple...


So there you have it! Our first ever Thanks Jar!

Oh, and yes, I am fully aware the letters aren't perfect...in fact, it kiiiiind of looks like a child's handwriting. I like it that way though- it gives it a sweet, fully homemade look. (And at a homemade price - about $1.00!)

I'll let you know after Thanksgiving if there were any good "thankful for" slips...

3 comments:

  1. Cute idea!! You did a great job stenciling that on!!

    xoxox
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! Definitely the easiest Thanksgiving project I've done yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this idea - those YHL folks are just too talented for ANYONE to compare themselves to - so don't worry, yours is JUST as great and unique! The idea behind it is all the matters. I'd love to make one of these in the future when I have children! How cute would that be? Little construction paper notes..haha!

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...