Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pin-A-Week 1: Onion Tart


It's the first official installment of PIN-A-WEEK! I know, I know, you're all really excited. Please, contain yourselves. This week's creation comes from this pin:

I know, looks darn good, right? You can find the original recipe for this delicious tart here!

I made a few adjustments to the recipe- mainly because we didn't have a few things (I guess I'll need to add thyme to our grocery list next week..)-but overall, I'm completely happy with how it turned out.

I used:
1 pre-made pie crust
2 lbs onions (about 4 smallish onions)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten with 2 tbsp water
tinfoil
2 1/2 ounces feta cheese
1 ounce swiss-gruyere mixed cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
2. Chop up the onions into thin slices and toss into a skillet or wok with the olive oil, pepper, salt, and parsley. Allow to cook for around 20 minutes.
3. Roll out pie crust on a tinfoil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle feta in the center of the crust, leaving 1 1/2 inches around the outer edge
4. Top the feta with the onion mixture, and sprinkle with swiss-gruyere mix.
5. Fold and pleat the crust over the mixture. Eggwash the outer crust, and sprinkle with pepper and salt.
6. Put in the oven for around 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes, and enjoy!

Your onions will start out looking like this..
....and end up looking like this


Before the oven...
...and after the oven


 Next time I'd definitely sprinkle with more cheese on the top- the crispy texture and extra salt the swiss-gruyere adds is majorly delicious!

Hope you all can try it- and stay tuned for the next PIN-A-WEEK!

1 comment:

  1. Made this for book club...it was a hit. I did make a few changes. I added Gorgonzola crumbles to the custard. Then I topped with thinly sliced pears. This added a little more sweetness.

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...