Tuesday, September 25, 2012

CRISPY GARLIC KALE CHIPS

Is the kale chip fad over? 
Maybe. 
Does that mean people should stop making kale chips?
No.

Even though I eat pretty healthy being a vegetarian, a lot of my recipes on the blog aren't so healthy (i.e chewy butter caramels, gnocchi mac & cheese, and peanut butter eggs). Thus, enjoy this healthy recipe to balance things out. (I think it's even Paleo-friendly!)

 What you'll need to make it happen:
1 head kale
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic (kept whole)
black pepper & sea salt for seasoning.

How to make it happen:
Step 1: Wash your kale and dry thoroughly. Soggy kale leads to soggy chips.
Step 2: Toss your kale and garlic in a large bowl with the olive oil until completely coated.
Step 3: Rip apart your kale into large chip pieces (they'll shrink up in the oven) and try to space as evenly as you can on a tin foil lined baking sheet. Make sure a clove of garlic is in the middle and each side of the pan. Sprinkle everything with sea salt and pepper. You won't need much, especially since the garlic will depart a lot of flavor into the kale!
Step 4: Bake at 275 for 10 minutes, then flip the chips and bake for another 10. Now, I'm paranoid about burning stuff, so I checked every few minutes after 15 to make sure they weren't turning black. You'll know they're done when they've turned dark greeny-brown and are crisp.
Step 5: Remove your garlic cloves and toss out. Let your chips cool, and enjoy!

Now, I won't lie to you...I didn't totally love the first kale chip I had. For that matter, I didn't like the first few. Then I started to realize they were kiiiind of delicious. 
They're addicting people, watch out. 

Are you a kale chip fan?
Try these. You might convert to being one!

xo, lp

7 comments:

  1. I have a bag of kale in my fridge currently and I'm super chicken to actually make these but I think I'll be doing that soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooooveee making kale chips––but I know what you mean about not liking the first few! It's definitely a taste/texture thing you need to wrap your head around, but once you do, you're addicted!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of Kale Chips! It took a few tries as well, but now I make them a lot! I spice it up and sometimes put Season Salt on them or Garlic Salt to change up the flavor! They go great with Veggie Burgers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just caannntttt eat them. I want to like them, but I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried them but those look good and tasty!

    www.pinsneedlesfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I just asked my husband if he would try a Kale chip. He said, "Sounds gross," but I'm willing to bet I could make a believer out of him! Will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had one before and I'm kind of scared to. I trust you though so I'll have to give a try!

    xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...