Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A NOTE ON THE MIDWEST

Yesterday was one of those days at work.
I don't feel the need to go into details, because I'm guessing pretty much everyone out there just knows what it means when you say "one of those days".

Back in January when I made my resolutions for the New Year, my number one focus was to complain less. Sometimes I feel like heavy sarcasm makes a quick slide to complainy, and no one likes a negative Nancy, right? Thus, when I had a bummer day yesterday- I really tried to not let it ruin my night. Other than the fact that Michael happens to have quite the talent for making me feel better (and letting me vent), what calmed me as I left was my drive home.

If you're not from the Midwest, or have never visited, you might underestimate its beauty. 
We are more than just flat land and a lot of snow, people!

My drive to work is a little over 40 minutes. The reason it's so beautiful is because I don't spend a second of it in stop & go traffic. I'm never bumper to bumper or surrounded by concrete. I drive through the Wisconsin countryside, through green hills and blue skies and yellow cornfields. Even the days when it's cloudy everything is just a richer, stronger hue. 

Driving down the winding road listening to music is ridiculously comforting, especially when this is what you see:



 (For the record, I didn't take these pictures WHILE driving. I'm not an idiot. I took them while Michael drove. Fact.)

So there you have it. Less than awesome day at work gets you a blog post on some Wisconsin Instagram pictures.
Magic.

What do you love about the place you live?
Or, on the topic I started with: how do you handle a bad day at work?

xo,lp 



11 comments:

  1. Love those midwest farmscpes! So so gorgeous. I loved seeing those on my drives in college. Now that I'm back in the city I kind of miss them! Lucky duck, that's a gorgeous drive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your drive is absolutely gorgeous!!! I'm so jealous you never sit in traffic. I'm sorry you had a bad day but I hope today is better! PS: phone date soon?

    Xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the bad day at work...and mine almost always falls on a Tuesday! I think it's because on Tuesdays, you are officially drowned by the work week, with quite a bit of time til the next weekend and not enough rest from the previous weekend!

    Hopefully today is better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me miss driving from Missouri to Iowa to watch my boyfriend play baseball :( I mean, I love NYC, but I miss having a car. Oh and I hate the subway. It's gross.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pictures!!! I'm a Mid-West girl too {St. Louis}... I absolutely love taking the back roads everywhere & staying OUT of the traffic is always a priority.. Whenever I am talking to anyone who lives around me the furthest anyone has to travel to get about anywhere of importance is 20 minutes {& that's the farthest}. I love that everything is so close & easy to get to!

    <3 Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the best things when I used to have "one of those days" days was to take a drive. It was so calming and having a moment to just decompress and experience whatever emotion was really hitting me at that moment was great. Now that I live in the city, I head to Central Park or wander around a bit. The great thing about NYC is it's easy to disappear for a few minutes if you need to!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures are beautiful. What a nice relaxing drive to work each day. I am jealous. I just moved to Florida... I am slowly learning to love where I live. Very different from the mountains of Utah.

    sjdmiller.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really made me miss the Midwest! I think the Midwest offers a kind of beauty that most people can't appreciate unless they are from there. It's certainly gorgeous in its own way though. I hope today is a better work day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are having a better day today! The countryside you drive thru is amazing!!! I love Austin because of the hill country views!! You need to come visit one day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty pictures and I wouldn't have blamed you if you took them while driving, doesn't seem like you would have hit anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura's father says, that's my girl. Clearly trained well.

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...